SYM-FIS: Evangelizing through Social Media
The pandemic has affected a lot of young people since they are accustomed to gather, bond, and be present for one another. Anxiety, feelings of isolation, and fear these days challenge mental health. The joy of interaction is our remedy.
Social media becomes a central platform of communication in the new normal, especially through Facebook. Through it we continue to share our mission through various activities like posting information of youth groups’ identity and the lives of their patron saints, quotes and trivia, reflections from the youth and much more.
The Salesian Youth Spirituality remains our guide for living. In this new normal, here are some suggestions for each SYS element:
1. Daily Life – we set the right example by continuing to live and reflect on the Word of God; inspiring others through sharing of insights and reflections among friends through online Bible sharing.
2. Optimism and Joy – despite the not-so-good effects of the pandemic, we look to the positive side as we acknowledge and find joy in our daily blessings and of the little things.
3. Friendship with Jesus – we take into heart Jesus as a companion in the midst of our struggles, especially when fear and despair consume us.
4. Communion with the Church – we cultivate Eucharistic devotion through live-streamed masses during the quarantine period; keeping in touch with co-parishioners virtually.
5. Responsible Service – we make ourselves available to listen and reach out to our fellow young people, especially those who are facing difficulties. We can also evangelize through posting of inspiring quotes, activities and reflections. Even with connectivity challenges the SYM continues to find ways to reach out to the young. True to the spirit of St. John Bosco, we fulfill our mission to form the young to the best of our abilities with the guidance of Jesus and Mary.
Youth serving youth!
(By: Christine Ann Mae Ramirez , SYM-FIS BIBLOS Provincial Animator)